This vegan and Dairy Free Corn Chowder is ultra creamy and comforting. It’s packed with nutrients, fiber, and even lots of plant proteins!
The past few months have been a whirlwind of travel for us. Since June, we have been in 4 countries on 3 continents, and are gearing up for another trip trans-Pacific flight in a few weeks.
That’s life when your family is spread out on 3 continents.
Xander is quite the traveling baby. Before his first birthday, he had left Malaysia, where he was born, for a trip to see family in Australia, flown to America twice, and been on vacations to both Borneo and Thailand. He has handled it so well. It wasn’t until we had 2 trans-Pacific flights in a week that he got his very first cold.
Part of this I attribute to breastfeeding, part to all the veggies I pack into our diets around travel times. Smoothies, green juices, and salads and soups. I am a big believer in getting our nutrients from whole foods, and not relying on supplements.
And when too much plane travel overtakes even the best intentions. . . (long hours awake, so many people crammed into small spaces, a little baby who wants to TOUCH everything and then put things in his mouth, too!) . . .there is soup to make us feel better- and this Dairy Free Corn Chowder is a regular around our house.
Alex, Xander and I all ended up with colds after our flight back from Australia. This soup has been nursing us back to health.
Tips for the RECIPE
- Like most soup recipes, the veggies in this soup are customizable! I wanted to keep this on the simpler side, but we often add other veggies like kale, broccoli, and green beans to this soup. Use up what you have in your veggie drawer.
- I make cream soups with a cauliflower base because I am lactose intolerant. However, this is a great recipe for everyone because using a cauliflower and cashew base not only cuts calories from the classic, but also adds a ton of fiber, and replaces saturated fats from cream with the monounsaturated fats in cashews.
- Lower the Calories: I have made soups similar to this for years with only cauliflower in the “cream” base. If calories are a concern for you, omit the cashews to lower the amount in this recipe. However, healthy fats help your body digest the nutrients in all of the vegetables in this soup!
- Increase the Protein: Often, we make this soup and add some crumbled up chicken sausage. If you’d like to keep it meatless, white or black beans would be a good addition!
Nutritional data for Dairy Free Corn Chowder and images courtesy of www.NutritionData.com.
Other Dairy Free Cream Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Minestrone Soup, by iFOODreal
- Dairy Free Potato Soup, by Gal on a Mission
- Dairy Free Cream of Chicken Soup, by Home Based Mom
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.