Surprise your kids by making these Healthy Breakfast Sundaes this summer! Made healthy with all the ingredients you want your kids to eat, but in a fun and delicious way. We also eat these for dessert!
Yogurt sundaes are my favorite dessert — and when I say yogurt sunday, I take plain yogurt, and turn it into a “sundae” by adding yummy toppings. I take frozen bananas, mix them with plain yogurt, and then top with berries, chocolate chips, and nut butter.
Since starting to make this Toasted Coconut Granola a few months ago, that gets sprinkled on top, too. (Granola really is dessert- just as much sugar as any of the cookies or desserts I make!).
We’ve been buying tons of fresh berries. I am in heaven getting them while I am home in Oregon. I buy berries thinking of all the recipes I could make and how pretty they’d look in the photographs, but then the berries are gone before I get to recipe development.
One thing they’ve been making it into is our “frozen yogurt.” I’ve been making nice cream in my Vitamix with frozen bananas, greek yogurt, and berries. Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries all work. Blackberries would be incredible- I can’t wait for that season!
While we eat that frozen yogurt for dessert, I was thinking the other day about how fun it would be to turn it into a sundae and serve it to kids for breakfast.
Sprinkle a little granola, garnish with a bit more fruit. Really, it’s just a smoothie bowl, but so much more appealing with those beautiful creamy scoops <3
After making these, I knew this would become a family tradition for us. Xander won’t remember eating these (he’s not yet 2!), so I am going to reserve this very special presentation for his birthdays. What kid wouldn’t love an ice cream sundae for breakfast on his birthday?
Tips for the Healthy Breakfast Sundaes
- I’ve made these Healthy Breakfast Sundaes with raspberries, blueberries and strawberries, and all are delicious! Later in the summer I will also try peaches and blackberries! If you don’t have berries, just straight banana is always delicious — or ooh, add some cocoa powder and make chocolate ice cream! The possibilities are endless.
- We usually just eat the ice cream out of the blender (use a high speed blender, like a Vitamix, for best results– do you know you can by refurbished Vitamix Blenders with a great guarantee for a lower price?!). (or food processor) – so it’s like soft serve. To scoop as photographed, add to a container, and freeze for 1-3 hours before scooping (any longer and it will be too hard to scoop out – this is not an ice cream recipe that can be frozen and eaten the next day).
- Make it Vegan or Dairy Free: Sub coconut milk for the yogurt, or try using a vegan almond milk or coconut yogurt. I use full fat coconut milk often and it adds more sweetness!
- Make it Paleo: Just skip the granola!
Other Breakfasts that Taste like Dessert Recipes:
- Matcha Banana Ice Cream, by Oh How Civilized
- Blueberry Maple Bread Pudding, by Simply Fresh Dinners
- Brownie Batter Overnight Oats, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Dreamy Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothie, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.