Winter Root Vegetable Soup

Winter Root Vegetable SoupWe just booked our tickets to the States for Christmas, and are crossing our fingers, hoping for snow. The first year I took Alex to Bend for Christmas, we had TONS of snow. On Christmas Eve, I sent him up to Mt. Bachelor for a ski lesson (growing up in the Southern Hemisphere, he had never seen a white Christmas!), and it was snowing so hard, he couldn’t see the road. After a few hours of skiing, my little Honda was so covered in snow, he had to enlist newly made friends in the ski lodge to help him dig the car out to leave.

We spent our holiday going for runs in freshly fallen, unmarked snow, snowshoeing, and warming up by the fires in the local breweries. My man, who has always shied away from the snow, chasing the sun, as I do, fell in love with winter.

ShowshoeingSo much so, he had no problem shelling out the large amount of money for two plane tickets to Oregon (from Asia) the following Christmas.

Then, last year ended up being the warmest Christmas in Bend, Oregon had seen in 20 years. It was sunny, 40-50 degrees f, and we found ourselves hiking in short sleeves. We went hiking in places I’ve never seen in the winter, because usually the roads are too buried in snow. The photo below is of our hike to the top of Black Butte — no snow, even on top!

black butte hikeWe prayed for snow our whole trip, but it just wasn’t happening. The day we landed back in Kuala Lumpur, called my mom to tell her we’d made it, and I am sure you can guess what had happened in Bend while we were crossing the Pacific — covered in snow.

Sigh. To make sure our plane ticket money wasn’t a total waste, we made up for the lack of snow with extra micro brews by the fire at the local brewery. Bend has 14 microbreweries- in a town of merely 80,000 people. Snow or not, Bend rocks.

We made sure to purchase one of these posters to frame for our condo in Malaysia.

BeervanaAnd that made us feel a bit better.

But this year, we want snow. Lots of it. We want my mom’s house buried in snow, like the year my brother and I had to get up on the roof to shovel the snow to make sure the roof didn’t collapse from the weight. The year school kept getting canceled, and we amused ourselves by building igloos in the front yard and eating snow ice cream for breakfast (anyone else? a bowl of snow, with milk, sugar and vanilla? NO?!)

So here’s our prayer for **snow**. #PracticingGratitude. Bend, Oregon is amazing, and I am so lucky it’s the place I get to call home.

You know what you need a lot of when it snows? Yep, soup. And all good soups start with wonderful veggies.

Root VegetablesI’ve made this soup for many years. The touch of ginger adds a ton of flavor to an otherwise mellow and creamy base. The original recipe (that I got in a Soup cookbook from Barnes and Noble years ago, and don’t have anymore) called for a cup of milk. I used to add about 1/2 cup, but since I don’t process dairy well, I mostly just leave it out. Add milk or coconut milk, if you’d like some extra richness!

Root Vegetable Soup

5.0 from 3 reviews
Winter Root Vegetable Soup
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
A creamy, comforting soup, with a hint of ginger and dill. A perfect winter meal or starter.
Serves: 12 cups
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 onions (chopped)
  • 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
  • 6 cups water + 2½ tablespoons vegetable bouillon (or 6 cups vegetable broth)
  • 2 parsnips
  • 1 turnip (peeled)
  • 1 large potato (peeled)
  • 1 carrot (or 2 small carrots, peeled)
  • ⅓ cup finely grated ginger root
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1½ teaspoons dried dill)
  • 1 cup milk or ½ cup coconut milk (optional)
  • sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • creme fraiche (to garnish, optional)
  1. In a soup pot, add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Over medium heat, saute until onions are translucent.
  2. Add water and vegetable bouillon or broth, and bring to a boil.
  3. Peel and chop the remaining vegetables. Add to the boiling broth.
  4. Continue to boil over medium high heat for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
  5. Remove soup from heat, and add the ginger root and dill.
  6. In batches, process the soup and vegetables in a blender (or immersion blender) until soup is very creamy.
  7. Add milk or coconut milk, if desired. Season with sea salt and pepper.
  8. Garnish with creme fraiche and extra dill, if desired.

Root Vegetable Soup

Other Soul Warming Soups: (on my Soups On! Pinterest board — if you’re interested in more inspiration!)

1. says

Michelle the soup looks incredible and so great for fall/winter! Your Christmas plans sound pretty incredible too :). Crossing my fingers for snow for you guys. I definitely know what it’s like to plan ski trips in Oregon and have the weather not cooperate. But I have a good feeling about this year!
    Molly recently posted…Homemade Mac ‘n’ Cheese Stuffed PeppersMy Profile

• says

It is a great comforting soup. Perfect for many of those cold nights. I even love taking it in a coffee mug in the morning. A great way to warm up and get a dose of veggies in the morning.

2. says

All I can say is: NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM! This Winter Root soup looks perfect to hit my ‘soup spot’ craving! The touch of ginger is gonna be awesome when I try it, probably next week! Too bad it isn’t winter here in Melbourne though :S But who cares! Classic soups are all-season!

Out of random curiosity, have you ever tried making soup in a Vitamix blender before? Just wondering if you’ve noticed the difference if you did. My wife and I bought one a couple of months back. I swear it’s ‘creamier’ — but I’m not sure if it’s a placebo effect, or if it actually IS creamier, haha!

Please keep churning out these awesome recipes – especially the soup ones! Love the colors, the variety, everything. :)

Sending love from Melbourne,
    Levan & Amrita

• says

Thank you so much for the note! Yes, the ginger adds so much flavor and interest to this soup. Really makes it. Even the subtle dill flavor makes it taste special.

I have tried a Vitamix. I used one in the States, but I am living in Malaysia- stupid 220v electricity! A Vitamix in the States can be as little as $400, but in Malaysia or Aus, easily double or triple. Since i don’t think I’ll be here much longer, I just can’t justify it! As much as I miss having one. It’s not the placebo effect- it really does make everything creamier and more amazing.

And I eat soups year round here in KL! Just turn on the a/c and enjoy! I was just in Melbourne a month back, and it certainly was cool enough for soup in the evenings. I know it’s getting warmer..

• says

Yeah! The Vitamix cost quite a bomb in Australia, about $1000! Funny how the same product can vary so greatly in price. :S

We actually came from a country right across the causeway from Malaysia — Singapore! As a food blogger, it’s probably been really eye-opening eh? The variety of Asian flavors and styles (e.g. Malay, Chinese, Indian, etc.) is pretty awesome. I also have a soft spot for ‘Asian’ snacks and crackers haha.

Did you make any particular food flavor discoveries there? I for one LOVE the taste of pandan in almost all desserts. 😀
        Levan @ recently posted…One Pan Mexican QuinoaMy Profile

3. says

I hope you get the snow for your visit! We had a very snowy winter here last year in the Northeast and we’re supposed to get more of the same this year. My kids love to ski and snowboard so they will be happy.
    I think one of the things I like best about the cold weather is soup! Your recipe looks delicious! Pinning and sharing! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Foodie Fridays…thrilled to have you join us!
    Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life recently posted…International Recipes at Foodie Fridays no 21My Profile

4. says

This soup sounds so warming and comforting! I’m also hoping for snow this year! Last year, I flew home to Toronto for Christmas and we arrived just after a huge snow storm that knocked out half the power in the city! Haha, so maybe I don’t want that much snow again but a little would be nice 😉
    Ceara @ Ceara’s Kitchen recently posted…Remembering & Living in LeuvenMy Profile