This Healthy Heart Carrot Apple Fennel Soup is packed with warming flavors and is deliciously creamy. Because it’s Paleo and Vegan, everyone at your holiday table can enjoy it!
Soups are my fav. I make soup all. the. time. And I just realized that despite soup being my favorite thing to make, I have very few soup recipes on my blog.
I do have soup recipes– some of my favorites. Maybe my all time fav, Chicken Enchilada Soup. Then there’s my Detox Mexican Vegetable Soup, which is maybe the first soup I taught myself how to make years ago (and I still love it!). And that restaurant quality (but nutritionally amped up) Quinoa Asparagus Tom Kha Gai (oh, so delicious!). But I don’t have a lot of simple soup recipes, and simple soups are so wonderful for fall and winter lunches!
We’ve been enjoying this soup the past 2 weeks for many lunches and dinners. I wanted to make a carrot soup, but I actually think many carrot soups are bland. So in popped some other nutritional super stars– apples and fennel. I didn’t want the apple to take over and make an overly sweet soup, but it adds great flavor. And the fennel! I love it’s liquorish flavor, and it adds the perfect earthy contrast to the apple and carrot.
I’m cooking a lot more these days than during the past year! Xander loves being in the kitchen with me. He sits on the counter (and grabs everything and throws spoons and bags into my mixing bowls) or sits on the floor and clears out my baking cabinet. I found a whisk under my bed and my kitchen timer in his play room yesterday. But I love it. I love getting in the kitchen more again, and I love having the company while I am in there.
He was a big fan of this soup. He’s suddenly eating everything again. Yay! After a 3 month bread and fruit fest, I love seeing him enjoy roasted veggies and soups like this again.
Heart-Healthy Carrots, Apples and Fennel
I love knowing that I can feed my family delicious meals that taste good and are working double time to keep us healthy!
- Carrots and fennel are both in the same plant family, and both boast benefits to our cardiovascular system. Both vegetables are high in antioxidants, and protect our hearts from damage. Steaming vegetables is the best way to prepare them to preserve the nutrients because when boiled the nutrients come out into the water. But with soup, you are consuming the water!
- Apples, carrots and fennel are all high in fiber, which we all know is important. One bowl of this soup to start your meal satisfies 1/4 of your daily fiber needs.
Tips for the Carrot, Apple, Fennel Soup
- This recipe requires you to think ahead– soak your cashews overnight. This not only makes sure they are soft and can easily blend into a creamy soup, but also removes the phytic acid, a compound that binds to nutrients and makes them difficult for our bodies to digest. Some people have difficulty digesting nuts, and soaking them first helps. You can soak the nuts in hot water for an hour if you don’t have time. They will then blend into a creamy soup, but it isn’t as effective at removing the phytates.
- Make it Nut Free: I use cashews in this recipe to add creamy flavor and some extra healthy fats. I have made it without the cashews, and it’s still delicious, so feel free to omit. If dairy is in your diet, you can substitute 1/2 cup cream for the cashews.
- Lower the Calories: Omit the cashews for a lower calorie soup. It is still delicious without them!
- For the Family: My 1 year old loved this soup! Some of this soup with crackers or bread makes a very healthy toddler meal – the cashews add protein and healthy fats, so no need to worry about serving meat alongside it. I also top this soup with hemp seeds to boost it’s nutrition when we having it as a meal rather than a side.
Nutritional data for Carrot Apple Fennel Soup and images courtesy of www.NutritionData.com.
Other Comforting Heart-Healthy Soups:
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup, by Two Peas and Their Pod
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, by Ahead of Thyme
- Spring Vegetable Soup, by Simply Fresh Dinners
- Creamy Broccoli Leek Soup, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.