These Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins are made with my new favorite sugar substitute- pureed dates. These can be made in a blender so are actually pretty quick to throw together as well.
I am apparently not the only one out there that thinks dates are amazing in desserts. My Gluten Free Date Bars (sugar free!)
are now the most popular recipe on my site.
When I realized that a few months ago, I decided to try making some other baked goods with date puree. I began with an amazing Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping made with no sugar at all- just the goodness of dates (and boy is it good!). I also used dates to top these amazing Oatmeal Date Caramel Bars, and they sure have been popular as well.
But what’s not to love? Rather than using refined sugar, or even honey (which has some trace minerals and vitamins), dates are actually loaded with health benefits. They are high in fiber, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium, and B6.
This combination of nutrients helps with promotes digestive health, but also have been found to boost heart health, reduce blood pressure, and are a good addition to any anti inflammatory diet.
Of course, dates are still mostly sugar, so eating them in moderation is key to maintaining balance. These muffins are a healthy option with clean ingredients, but still have as many calories as a typical muffin would.
Tips for making Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- I’ve used both store bought and home-ground (in a blender) oat flour. Either will work fine in this recipe, although I prefer to grind it myself for these– adds a bit more texture!
- I mostly use Medjool dates. I started using weights for dates in my recipes after finding out 1 cup of medjool dates is the same in weight as 2 1/2 cups of smaller dates. Dates blend great in my Vitamix, but I have also made this recipe in a standard blender with good results.
- Make is Gluten Free: If you need this recipe to be 100% gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten free oat flour. Almond flours are already gluten free.
- For the Family: Xander loves these, so I made his without walnuts since he still doesn’t have a full mouth of teeth.
Other Date-Sweetened Recipes:
- Date-Sweetened Banana Bread, by Sweet Simple Vegan
- Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Bars, by Emilie Eats
- Gluten Free Date Bars, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.